Saturday, September 27, 2014

Birthday cards, Part 2 of 2: Fall, glimmer, sparkle, and fade

Note: That title is completely insignificant, save that I was listening to that when I semi-drunkenly started writing this a couple days ago. We now take you to your not-at-all-regularly scheduled post.

I'm picking up where I left off with the birthday cards I cracked two weeks and change ago. The smallest of the packs was a four-card pack of some international nonsense from Upper Deck in like 2006, I think. I'm like early Faith No More in that I care a lot.
Way to be, whoever you are. There was also an Eric Gagne card numbered out of 75, but I can't imagine why I'd scan that.

Recent Topps were involved. Here are a pair of bat-barrel shots that Nick probably already has. I tossed 'em in his box just in case, though.
Nick Swisher is the only major league player I have competed against. And by "competed against" I mean "watched from the bench". I had a unique role in high school baseball in that there was so little interest in baseball at this school of 2000+ that I was basically designated roster filler so we had enough players. My leather was true, so I'd get into some games when they were already over. Watching Swisher play was transcendent. It was so cliche how much better than everyone else he was. I later ended up moving to Parkersburg, where he went to HS, and played a couple seasons of adult ball on the field he came up on.

...that Pena card is just cool because of, yeah, orange and Tatooine.

It's been a couple days since I typed that last sentence. I really need to wrap this post up so I can get to the next one, which I'm more excited about.
That Joe Mauer World Baseball Classic insert is from 2013, while the die-cut Koufax is from a year earlier. Don't worry, I didn't actually mar either of the Sandy Koufax cards; I figured someone might want them.
 ...this Dennis Eckersley insert celebrating one of his World Series saves also came from the pack of 2012 Topps.
As I mentioned in the first post, there was a lot of 2008 Upper Deck. This was my second-favorite card out of all of them. Of course, the one at the top of this post is my favorite. Regardless of what one thinks of Manny Ramirez, that's a great shot.

Well, that does it for that. Kinda ridiculous that it took me 17 days to wrap it up, but things get back-burnered sometimes. I'll be back much sooner with a post about some mail I got which I'm excited about.

1 comment: