Tuesday, March 30, 2010

CY & I: Cub Busters

Part II of the Joey lovefest will have to wait another day; I'm at my sister's house watching her kids so I don't have access to my pics of his cards. Here's a little something to tide you over:
My friend Shane and I have a pretty good system; whenever I pull any Cubbie cards, they go straight to him and whenever he gets any Friars on cardboard such as the '09 Signature Stars CY to your left, your pal TTG's collection gets a little bigger. Despite being a fan of the hapless Northsiders, Sheezy and his delightfully depraved fiance Tara are two of the greatest people you'll ever meet. I'm pretty sure they think as highly of me, seeing as how I am their beautiful daughter Aubrie's godfather- hell, they even entrusted me with naming her!

Back to baseball, Shane and I are like any other red-blooded set of friends in that we root for the other's team when it doesn't affect ours but talk mess like crazy any chance we get. Case in point: the Christmas before last, I bought him a Cubs jersey with #84 on the back. After he opened and examined it, he said something to the effect of "Sweet, you put the year I was born on it!" Now, I know when he was born but between the time of me buying it and him saying that, that fact never occured to me once and I told him as much. He thought about it for a second before the light bulb went off and he said "Oh, fuck you, Joe! At first I wanted to wear this every single day; now I want to set it on fire!" Score one for me.

Just to make this even remotely about CY, I will say that one of my all-time favorite images is the one of him about to punch former Friar Derrek Lee in his fear-stricken face.

No comments:

Post a Comment