In honor of the longtime Friar shortstop's victory by decision over Steve Finley in yesterday's poll, here are seven random facts about Ol' "Jumpsteady":
- He was the official team captain from '87 'til he departed two months into '91.
- #1 led the league in intentional walks in '84 and '85 with 23 and 24, respectively.
- Garry managed current Padre David Eckstein in the minors.
- After leading the league in triples with 19 in '79, he never broke double digits again.
- On January 13th, Templeton was named manager of the Chico Outlaws of the Golden Baseball League.
- Garry stole 27 bases in '82, his first year with the Padres- the highest total he would have with the team. In his last six seasons in San Diego, he stole exactly 27 bases.
- When Avenger-in-Chief was a kid, Templeton would let him hit in his backyard batting cage.
The cards pictured are '91 Donruss #252 and '90 Topps #481